Sunday 7 January 2007

The Cost Of Sex

Friday I got the HPV vaccine. There are no tests to detect HPV. Most people will have contracted it before the age of 50, but will never know they even have it. Most people who contract some form of the HPV virus do not have any symptoms. Chances are that there are no problems at all from the HPV virus. But some types of the HPV virus are considered "low risk" and can cause genital and anal warts. Other types are considered "high risk" and can cause pre-cancerous lesions and cancer in the cervix, anus and other genital areas. Obviously the virus is an STD but it can be spread through oral sex and even without any penetration. The most common transmission is skin-to-skin. Since condoms cannot cover all the skin surfaces around the genitals it does not guarantee complete protection against HPV.

Since this information is a little frightening I figured I would get the vaccine. You have to get a prescription for it, so I got to talk to my doctor. I really like her and she thought it was a good idea, she also spent the time checking up on my other ailments. The vaccine is called Gardasal and is really new. It protects against Human Papillomavirus (HPV) types 6, 11, 16, and 18. It is 100% effective against types 16 and 18, which are precursors to cervical cancer and vulvar/vaginal cancer, these strains of HPV cause approximately 70% of cervical cancer cases. The vaccine is also 95% effective against cervical dysplasia and 99% effective against HPV related genital warts, which amount to 90% of genital warts cases. It has been recommended that this vaccine be given to all girls when they are 12, but at the moment it is only on a request basis for women from 9 to 26.

The shot is administered intramuscularly, which means it tends to be put in the upper arm, and let me tell you it actually hurts. When I got it I felt the pin prick, which I always do with needles and hate, but that has always been the worst of it. After the pin prick they push the stuff in, you feel it happening, it burns and really hurts.

Like the Hepatitis vaccines you get in Grade 8, it actually takes 3 doses. I got one on Friday, and I have to go back for another in 2 months and the last after 6. Each dose cost $132.07, since I have a drug plan through my dads work I only paid $38.01. The entire thing will cost me $114.03 by the end, and I really don't think my parents are going to be footing the bill for my STD protection, since they already pay for my birth control.

Starting this process has left me with a sore arm and lots of questions. Did I rush into this decision? Are the benefits of protection and peace of mind worth $115? How much of a risk am I at anyway? Do I already have HPV, and if so what types? Why isn't it free like the flu shot? If I am getting back together with him, will I even ever be sleeping with anyone else ? Are we just over vaccinating ourselves? Isn't cervical cancer one of the easiest to detect? If I get it couldn't I just fight it like other cancer victims? How far will I go to ward off discomfort and death?

1 comment:

Work Jenn said...

" Are we just over vaccinating ourselves?"

Really? Interesting...