Tuesday 20 May 2008

Happy Birthday Mom

Today is my mother's birthday. Talking with my dad this weekend, he told me he had gotten her a watering can as a present, and had already given it to her. My grandparents and uncles gave her wine and sailing accessories over the long weekend as well. My brother will most likely forget all together. I somehow doubt much fuss will be made over her today. Partly because most of the celebrating happened with relatives this past weekend. The positioning of her birthday is most likely another key reason, a week after Mother's Day. It is also very near my own, as well as her younger twin brothers. Another reason would be her age, after 21 or so birthdays become less special. People only seem to really focus on the multiples of five and let the other ones slip by with a simple card or phone call. I think she deserves so much more than this. My mother is the most selfless person I know, caring and generous with her family and friends, as well as giving in her career in family counselling. Growing up she worked alot with horses, and still rides today, she loves to travel, sail, garden, and over the past few years has started running in local 5k races. She is intellectual and reserved, preferring to rug hook and read by herself over large social gatherings. Able to keep her British charm but also appears worldly and proudly Canadian. She is always happy, and seemingly care-free, has a great sense of humour and is very loving. Happy Birthday Mom, I wish we could all have made it a bigger deal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Chris
Mum