Monday 8 June 2009

Good And Bad

For the first few years of elementary school we said The Lord's Prayer every day:
The Lord's Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
The power, and the glory,
For ever and ever.
--Amen
I can remember them saying every morning; "Please stand for O'Canada and remain standing for The Lord's Prayer." For kindergarten I went in the afternoon, so never heard the morning announcements. On the first day of Grade One I remember being so upset at not knowing the words. I barely knew the national anthem and definitely not the prayer. Half the class had it down pat, they obviously went to kindergarten in the morning the previous year. The teacher assured us that we would learn it quickly, and we did. Soon, I had it memorised and can recite it to this day, thanks to having to say it every day in school until maybe about Grade 3 or 4, I can't remember when we stopped. The strange thing, I went to a public school! While I have nothing against prayer, or this prayer in general. (Actually I find parts of it really beautiful.) However, it has absolutely no place in a public school!! I can't believe they did that, I can't believe they were allowed to do that. That was not that long ago either.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Weird. We didn't do it. I never heard the Lord's Prayer until I started going to church in high school... It only took me a couple of weeks to be able to follow along with most of it though...

Did you know the Catholic and Protestant versions are slightly different?

Anonymous said...

I feel I have an incling as to what prompted this post.
A.

Fae said...

Being home schooled, I was awkward all around when it came to social gatherings where we had to recite things that it seemed EVERY OTHER KID knew.

Like at girl scouts, we had to sing the national anthem and recite the pledge of allegiance every morning.. and I knew neither by heart, because everyone else had to say it in school every day. I didn't.

Also, even though I grew up in church, I never had to say the Lord's Prayer... so when I would go to friends houses who would say memorized prayers for dinner, it was always awkward that I just sat there silent during prayer.

I was just a heathen in the making.

Anonymous said...

You know what else is weird when you think about it? Ontario (maybe all of Canada) has a publicly funded Catholic school board...an entire board...publicly funded! For one religion...

Teri