Tuesday 4 May 2010

It's In You To Give

I like to challenge myself, find little tasks that I'm scared of and force myself to do them. I think that the last thing I really counted as this was giving a guy my phone number out of the blue, it went very badly. Luckily, tonight's face-my-fear-challenge went amazingly! I donated blood!!! I have been wanting to for a while but, like so many people, have been too scared of it hurting, fainting afterwards, or just the needle in general. I was quite apprehensive and a little bit scared, as you can see from this photo... However, it hurt less than when they take blood at the doctors. I get blood taken for tests at least 6 times a year, I'm not a fan of it but I have gotten used to it. I actually had 3 tubes taken last week, so I can remember what it feels like - donating blood hurts less. I felt fine during and after. Actually, after the needle went in and I realised it didn't hurt, I felt better than I had beforehand. The relief, after being so nervous, was amazing, as you can see from this photo...
The pictures were taken by JennB, she had forgotten that she had an appointment to go donate this evening and asked if I wanted to go too. I figured it was a sign to finally do what I keep saying I'm going to. Anyway, she finished ahead of me, partly because she got through the screening process quicker and partly because she was able to donate in 5 minutes and it took me 8. (I was trying to race her but there isn't much you can do to speed it up.) I'm very glad I went, it was seriously a breeze and I hope to make it a regular thing. (You can go every 56 days or something.) I'm going to try to go again once I'm home before I leave for my trip. However, I will have been recently vaccinated for a bunch of stuff and they may turn me away. I then will probably be ineligible to donate for a year after visiting China and Mongolia, I doubt they are on the safe list. So please, as I might be unable to for the next little while, go donate!! One donation can save up to 3 lives. It is really a worth while thing to do!!!

6 comments:

Jannedals said...

Certainly. The Canadian population is incredibly eager to be at the receiving end of my tainted Mad Cow blood, so I will get right on that.
...........

Unknown said...

I do it whenever I can pass the iron test. And when I'm in the country! I really like it. I actually find that it makes me feel better the next day, forcing my body to make new blood!

Erin said...

Simply reading this made my breathing erratic and now my arms hurt. Somehow I think that I'm really not going to do this any time soon. I'll tell you what, I donate blood if you watch a scary movie whilst holding a bouquet of tulips.

Justin said...

The stigma associated with giving blood is worse than the actual experience.

As I understand it, most people end up feeling better after donating(probably because they may have just contributed to helping up to 3 people (By the way, good job on the statistics (and sorry about the nested brackets))).

Unknown said...

I'm proud of you!

I gave blood and felt good for 90% of the time, but then after about 10 min in I felt like I was going to faint. But I told them and they immediately pulled it out and put a cold cloth on my forehead at which time I immediately felt better. They're trained for that type of thing and I was very impressed with how they handled it. Turns out I had almost filled my bag so there was enough to donate (they make you give a bit more than they need just to be safe). So I felt pretty great right afterwards (the feeling of saving people's lives). However, I must admit that I have been too scared to go since then...

Lindz said...

First of all, this is here.
Second, this post scared me, and makes me feel bad for not going yet. Though if you got through it, it makes me think that I should suck it up and go...hmm I'll think about it. Congrats though!