Friday 17 September 2010

It Was Time

I have never owned a cell phone. It isn't that I don't like them, they are so useful. It is that I don't like what they have done to people and society as a whole. The idea of setting up times and locations to meet is gone, since the cell phone arranges that easier with less commitment. People text and talk at inappropriate times and rarely excuse themselves to do it. Less people walk alone quietly looking around at the world, less books are read on public transit, and less face to face (and with texting, voice to voice) communication occurs and the conversations are often so empty and meaningless "Yo, are we still on for ..." (with cell phones there seems to be this constant double-checking and recommitting to plans.) I wish I could have lasted longer without one, but I literally caved to peer-pressure as my not owning one has been driving my friends crazy for years now. I bought one today. I have an HTC Snap and a great monthly rate. I'm happy but I hope it doesn't destroy me. I fear who I will become.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha now I see why you were frustrated with my suggestion on Saturday!

Good to see you this weekend!

Teri

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the century. Just don't let it make you less communicative or have poor manners.
Mum

Jannedals said...

I still bring books with me!!! After all, reading "Guns Germs and Steel" makes you look really intellectual, whereas my tiny flip phone with Hello Kitty sushi adornments makes me look like an 8-year-old Japanese girl. I'll take the Jared Diamond, thanks.

Anonymous said...

YA Peer Pressure!!!! I am shamelessly excited about you having a cell phone!
Love, T