Tuesday 14 December 2010

It Doesn't Even Make Sense!

Today I am working on my final essay of the term. JennD is with me as she also has a huge paper due this week and we figured we would hang out as we wrote. She is at Carleton doing a MA in Film Studies. JennD is still at the research stage for her paper on Peirce's theory of signs and their signification and how this theory is being challenged by digital imagery. She read me the following sentence from one of the books:

The existing objects demoted by the indices must be so connected to the firstness represented iconically by the predicate, that the dicisign as a whole can indexically represent an object that incorporates both.
--- from Peirce by Christoper Hookway

I often come across very confusing, annoying, and pretentious sentences in my readings for school but it has been a long time since I have encountered something that ridiculously complicated. I don't think some of those are even words, nothing in that sentence is a typo, I double checked. I'm so glad I don't have to write a paper on that; I have no idea what it means!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Really..? I would have expected it to say, "Denoted" instead of "Demoted".