Sunday 16 February 2014

The Last Comment

Sunday Mornin' Coming Down - A post about my Dad each Sunday, named after a song that he loved.

I am running out of 'lasts' from my dad to share. I have already posted about the last email that he sent me and the last texts. I went through the posts that I made on Always Standing  in the Fall to find the last comment he made. As I have always said, I live for the comments and luckily Dad was good about posting them. So, I don't know about the last thing he read on the blog but I am going to guess he was pretty caught up. However, the last post he commented on was just over a month before he died. In mid-October I did a short series called Results Week that detailed times from the summer Triathlon that I had participated in, with Mom, Teri, Kendra, and Jason. The final post detailed my results.

Posted on Always Standing on Saturday October 19, 2013.

The next weekend, on Saturday October 26, (in the morning according to the comment posting data) my dad made the following comment (all spacing and spelling is accurate):

It was great to see you " JUST DO IT " and finish.I would have never finished the swim Dad

I love how supportive he always was. It was great to have him around that day on The Island to help and cheer us on. I reviewed the whole week of posts and I don't even know if I mentioned him, let alone thanked him for being there that morning - it meant a lot to me at the time. Still today, the whole Triathlon experience stays with me as a wonderful memory. I love the above comment that he left. It was months after the event since I was slow to write about it. All his comments were great. His honesty was unfaltering, he was open and kind and sweet and funny. I am so sad that he won't be leaving me any more on Always Standing. I will miss his encouragement, I loved when he read what I wrote.

No comments: