Sunday 23 March 2014

I Met Gail

I met Gail Vaz-Oxlade yesterday at a fundraising event for the shelter that Taylor works at. This was an amazing dream come true. (Well the full dream would be to be coached by her financially like on one of her shows but this was pretty much the next best thing!) I took K and Taylor met us there. The presentation she gave included a couple of Financial Literacy tests and I was not as good as I thought I would be! Mainly I don't have quite enough saved for an emergency (should have 6 months worth of expenses and I probably have about 2 or 3). I also do not know enough about TSFAs, RRSPs, or RESPs and how to use them to my advantage. I got lots of good ideas for Always Standing posts and now I want to do a Monday Money Tip thing, but I have so many series going on right now that I don't know it is a good idea to clog up the blog with them. But I do want to set up a 'Tribe' on her My Money My Choices program, but I will post more about that later. I got her to sign my copy of Debt Free Forever, which is my favourite of her books. It is by far the best self-help style book I have ever read. I think everyone should own it! Ignore the Debt part, since the book is practical whether you have debt or not, really it is just about smart money management.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to see more about the debt free stuff Chris! Working hard to get there and retire early

Anonymous said...

Mark and I love Gail!!! Very exciting.

Sweeton said...

So glad you got to see her, I bet it was a lot of fun as well as educational.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for coming! I had a great time, even if Gail did call me "stupid". I clearly need to join your money tribe when you start this!

Love T

Erin said...

So jealous, David and I watch her shows all the time!