Sunday 18 January 2015

Stacked Sheets

Sunday Mornin' Coming Down - A post about my Dad each Sunday, named after a song that he loved.

My dad always changed my sheets when I was growing up. (And when I say 'growing up' I mean up to the age of 19 when I went to university. Then when he visited, I would often ask for his help with my bed.) He has amazing tucking talent! I don't think it is 'nurse style' corners but the bed ends up being very tight and neat.

I really loved when this happened when we lived in Paris, because it would make the room so messy. I prefer to sleep with lots of blankets (instead of just a single big duvet) and they would get thrown all over the floor in my room. My dad would turn or flip my mattress most of the time too.

Some of the time, Dad would ask which way I would like my sheets. Sheets have a 'pretty side,' this is especially true with ones with patterns, the pattern is darker on the good side. Plain sheets just have a good/bad side based on the hems and stuff at the ends.

I don't like the envelope style. My dad was always explaining that if you make the bed that way, your body is surrounded by the good parts of the sheets. (Obviously the fitted/bottom sheet it always put on the same way, so mainly this is about the top sheet.) In an envelope, you can lift up the sheets and blankets and see the pretty pattern, etc. But I always wanted (and still do) 'stacked sheets' where the top sheet faces up. The good part faces the ceiling, which means I am lying under the 'bad' side and the pretty pattern is covered by the blankets, I prefer that though. Stacked sheets are the only way for me. Which way is your bed made, or do you not notice a good/bad side with your top sheet?

No comments: