Sunday 2 October 2016

In Memoriam In The Program

Sunday Mornin' Coming Down - A post about my Dad each Sunday, named after a song that he loved.


In Memoriam Page
Wedding Program 2016
Photos by myself and Stephanie Beach Photography
Layout by me using Canva

One of the pages in our massive wedding program was dedicated to my dad. You can see it below. It included my favourite photo of Dad that I took in Portugal, a photo taken by Steph that was included in her Photo Essay after Dad's death, the poem When Great Trees Fall by Maya Angelou, as well as the poem we had read at his funeral by Henry Van Dyke, which I have included below.


Gone From My Sight 

 I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side, 
spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts 
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. 
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck 
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other. 

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone." 

Gone where? 

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast, 
hull and spar as she was when she left my side. 
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port. 
Her diminished size is in me -- not in her. 

 And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone," 
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices 
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!" 

And that is dying...

By Henry Van Dyke, 1904

No comments: