Monday 17 April 2017

Photos For My Favourite Day - Monday In The Azores

I didn't know how excited I was to swim in the ocean or how much I have started to enjoy hiking on holidays but today was so much fun, I think it has been my favourite so far. Let me detail our activities using photos (unless otherwise stated, all pictures were taken by Jason.)

We drove to the south-west coast 
to go swimming in the ocean at Ponta da Ferraria.
The cliffs are steep, would our little car make it?
----- 

Of course it would!
The switch-backs helped of course.
That truck is not ours, we rented a little car.
----

The jagged lava rocks make for an eerie looking coastline.
But this is the best place to swim in the ocean 
when the weather is a bit cool out.
----

Because these natural pools are fed by a hot spring.
At low tide the ocean is 28 C in this spot.
----

These pools have been used since the fifteenth century.
History was onto something, we enjoyed a nice swim.
----

Then we went for a hike at nearby Sete Cidades.
We set off to get to the lookout point for the 'twin lakes'
wanting to see the iconic crater formation.
---- 

The walk started off taking us pass an aqueduct.
(Which I could find no information about,
obviously it killed me to have no facts on this!)
----

About half way through we noticed
fog had started to roll in.
----

Was it going to be worth the climb
if we couldn't see anything? 
----

Because it really was a climb!
It was another hike with a big elevation gain,
almost 200m again, in a short period of time.
----

But we stuck it out, worked up a sweat,
and reached the top. (Hydrate!)
It was an enjoyable walk, no one else was around.
----

But at the top instead of seeing this:
Photo from a travel site.
Iconic image of the Azores,
seen a million times while researching the trip.
----

We had this view:
----

Still, it was a wonderful day!

1 comment:

Sweeton said...

What a lovely day! Pity about the fog. I loved the photos. I can see why you think I should visit.